One Hundred

Yesterday was the last day of school.
I can't believe it- the year's over.
Four full, adventurous years of teaching come and gone.
My first 100 students.

It hit me on my way home~
I have laughed with, cried with, learned from and taught one hundred kids who will 
take on the world one day.
And oh, how they have enriched my life.

Yesterday was surreal. 
Because not only did I say goodbye to my own students, but to my first students ever,who graduated from 6th grade and are moving onto middle school
The students who taught me how to teach~
Who made me fall in love with my career.
I'll really miss them.

And then there are my amazing students from this year.
17 boys (and we're talking boys' boys) and 8 girls, who kept me on my toes in the very best way.
Hilarious, inquisitive balls of energy who soaked up everything I said, all day long.
And how we laughed, and questioned, and talked.
They want to be scientists and doctors and basketball players and teachers.
And they will be.

This last week was crazy. 
We packed in the Economics Fair, the Egg Drop Contest, the Ancient Greek Olympics, our End of the Year Party, our End of the Year Showcase (the parents loved the skit and the scrapbooks!), an awards presentation, 2 assemblies, and of course, some dance parties. 

I was also dragged on stage to participate in a Tae Kwon Do demonstration, and broke a block of wood with my fist in front of the whole school. 
Then I kissed my bicep. ha.

Yesterday at the last minute I had each of my students write a letter for me to give my new students next year. I told them to write a few encouraging words, what to expect, what gets on my nerves, etc.

A few favorites:
Dear Student,
       Miss Robinson is the most fun teacher ever and sometimes she brings in her dog or gives us ice cream. You'll never want to leave her.

Dear New Student,
      Have a nice year with Miss Robinson. You are the most lucky student in the world! I hope you have fun with her. You are going to go on a field trip to the Capitol. You will also have lots of parties and you will be so happy with this awesome teacher.

Dear Miss Robinson's Student,
      If you're in Miss Robinson's class you will have a blast with her because she is awesome plus you get to make gingerbread houses near Christmas. These are some projects you might do when you're in Miss Robinson's class: Greek Gods and Goddesses Day, Egg Drop contest and more. You will LOVE her.

Dear 3rd Grade Students,
     Miss Robinson is the best teacher you'll ever have, so don't be nervous! You'll do lots of fun projects. You'll have the best year ever.

Dear Miss R. Students,
      You'll have the best year of your life.

(That one doesn't mince words :))

Teaching is a labor of love.
And countless reasons draw me back for more.
Including yesterday, when I looked at my 25 students on their last day of 3rd grade, tears rolling down faces and eyes shining brightly, and felt in my heart the impact I have made on their lives.
It was one heck of a year.

So to you, 3rd graders of 2011:

Congratulations! Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.  And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

You'll look up and down streets.  Look 'em over with care.
About some you will say, "I don't choose to go there."
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
you're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.

And you may not find any
you'll want to go down.
In that case, of course,
you'll head straight out of town.

It's opener there
in the 
wide open air.

Out there things can happen
and frequently do
to people as brainy
and footsy as you.

And when things start to happen,
don't worry.  Don't stew.
Just go right along.
You'll start happening too.

OH!
THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!

You'll be on your way up!
You'll be seeing great sights!
You'll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights.

You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed.
You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you'll be the best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!

Happy Sweet Summertime to my OES family and all of our fellow teachers!
(and thanks to Sarah for inspiring me to reread Oh the Places You'll Go. I just love it. And you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails